Thursday 9 May 2013

Publication Crafting

To fit the post modern, hand crafted theme I printed my publication on newsprint, this worked a lot better than I was expecting. I printed the spreads on an a3 sheet so each page is approximately a4, which makes it feel like quite a compact newspaper. This references the ephemeral and mass produced content of some of the issues raised within the publication.

The accompanying posters worked particularly well as they just used black ink which printed well and looked like a screen print as the subtle texture of the thin newsprint showed through the ink.




This is the all over print that wraps the publication and houses the posters. I printed this pattern onto brown wrap which has worked better than I expected. I trimmed the edges to make it into more of an envelope shape that folds around the publication well.


With this publication I decided to try saddle stitching it as I have only every used staples and they always pop out when you open the book up too much, this also contributes to the D.I.Y ethics of the publication. The saddle stitching worked very well and held the pages together tightly. I will use this in future instead of staples as it gives a much more durable and considered finish to the publication.



Pictures of final product coming soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment