Thursday 2 May 2013

Exhibition Poster, development and outcome

Post group concept crit I developed a few ideas into something more substantial


Focussing on specific topics I looked into off shoots of the themes that would work as a brand/ identity for the exhibition





3 Concepts

The weakest of the three concepts that I designed to propose at the crit stemmed from the idea of 'Survival of the Fittest' and evolving to suit your surroundings. The idea will be based on 'Thumbs' and the entries need to prove they have thumbs and deserve to be a big player on the BAGD field etc.


Second concept is based on Class Wars which is traditionally about the lower and upper classes at each others throats, but in this case it is 1st year vs 2nd year / The people in the frames Vs The ones not.

The poster could be a newspaper that documents the recent winners/ loser etc,.


The final concept is based on cards and the best cards in the pack constituting a royal flush which relates to the best students in the class being picked to fill the frames


I decided to go ahead with this concept


Sketching out the composition and items that the king will be holding







Ahoy there


Referencing the existing playing cards I used the same colours and a similar illustration style to create the Graphic Design King


I made sure that the layout was well balanced and everything fit well into a grid like an official playing card




I used the typeface that I created for my other 'Good Is..' project as it has that sam regal aesthetic that cards are based upon


I kept the required information to a minimum, just explaining what it is and where it will be.






I think it works much better limiting the type to one colour



The poster will be printed on a glossy stock and the corners will be rounded to look as similar to a real playing card as possible:





I printed the final poster onto a satin stock to replicate the smooth, shiny finish of a playing card.


To suit the proportions of a playing card the poster is slightly less than A2 and also has rounded corners




EDIT

This poster was selected as one of the 7 that were being exhibited in the frames for 4 weeks to decide which one will go on to become the identity of the exhibition.









No comments:

Post a Comment