Tuesday 13 November 2012

Design for Print: Development & Considerations

There are 3 sections within this publication that I have coded by colour: Colour (Pink), Artwork (Green) and Process (Yellow). I wanted this to be hinted at on the front cover.






Stitched border could reference binding methods:


This is the most successful as it just hints at the colour and it is clear and well balanced:



Working ffrom my thumbnails made the design process quite easy as I was essentially just dropping the page elements into the 8 Column grid I had set up:


I knew I wanted to use a modern sans serif typeface for the Headers as the content is about modern printing techniques and this suits the process.



I restricted myself to 3 typefaces throughout the publication: Nevis for Headings, Corbel for the bulk of the body copy and Andale Mono for all sub text and accompanying text.



This is the basic colour palette I used throughout the publication with some added tones of the colours on the title pages to create a subtle gradient.



 However, in the colour section of the book I have used a wide range of colour to demonstrate and to use as reference.






This is the general layout for the majority of the publication, I wanted to keep text to a minimum so I have used quite a small point size and split it up into short columns to make reading quick and easy.


I used the custom Underline function in InDesign a lot throughout the publication as this works well in containing text and helping it look more fixed and steady on the page.:






 I decided to change colour photographs for black and white- when colour wasn't necessary for information- as this helped to tie the design tighter together and also emphasised the colour that defines which section it is in.




Stock book

I thought the most useful way I could design an info book on stock would literally be to have a wide range of examples that I could actually use and refer to in the future. I ordered a wide range of stocks from the internet, I am going to design the stock book to fit with the dimensions of the book I am going to get printed by Issuu.


While the 3 books are in the box I want each of them to be instantly recognisable, I chose to have the stock book Magenta, I will reinforce the pink with white card through the centre. 


This is going to be the layout within the book, I am going to bind two sets of the stock samples as there are a lot of them, I will organise the samples by weight and texture

On the left there is a slot for a variety of business card examples and companies that provided reasonably priced printing.




Box

Containing all 3 of my books I wanted a sturdy plain white box that is embossed with the 'Design For Print' type on the front and on the edge.


I drew out the box working with the restrictions of size I am working to for the Issuu printed publication, I added a few mm on to each edge to accomodate the books better



The box would look much better with a glossy finish, but as this is a mock up thick white card will work well enough an it will also emboss -with the facilities I have available- well.





Casing and presentation:

I measured the box to fit the dimensions of the Issuu book, however my other two accompanying books  have turned out slightly smaller than they should have.


To remedy this problem I decided to make a small rectangular box that can fit in the base and fitted to the bottom to hold the books tighter for the Crit


I also have added the blue cover of the book that I am going to get printed after the crit- in case there are any alterations that could be made, inside the book directs the viewer to the Issuu document that is on my blog.


I added a belly band to make the product more compact and complete 


I also embossed the belly band to give it more interactivity and a more interesting aesthetic.





No comments:

Post a Comment