Wednesday 30 January 2013

OUGD 504 Evaluation


What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?


This module has introduced a lot of new design practices that I have been unfamiliar with prior to this. Firstly, design for print has allowed me to really get to grips with inDesign and produce some editorial work, planning everything out by using thumbnails and design sheets made this process easier, working out the order in which the book will run saved time needing to change the structure digitally. Design for web has introduced me to a lot of new skills, including Dreamweaver

What approaches to/ methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?


Like with every project design sheets have been an integral part to all design production, planning out the best options before diving in saves time in the long run. With the addition of web design I have had to design within my capabilities of actually creating the website, this prompted me to keep it simple which is often the most effective design solution. I have experimented with multiple processes such as embossing, foiling and screen printing which has widened my knowledge of what is possible rather than just relying on digital print.

What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?


The range of products I have explored within ISTD was quite broad which contributed well to a strong identity and made it easier to visualise the actual museum, I will continue to explore all possible applications when doing future briefs. 

What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?


The photography of my final products needs to be improved for future briefs. For the next time I will book a slot in the studio so that I can lay all my products out and get a set of high quality images.
I need to spend longer designing presentation boards so that it is clear to anybody that is unfamiliar with my brief. I would also like to get better at processes such as embossing and screen printing so that I can use these for future briefs without it taking as much time. The quality of the final physical product could be improved, in the future I will test more with stock and colour before simply going for the cheapest or easiest option.


Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?


Photographing my finished products in a more professional manner will give me more content to put towards my portfolio. Continue to use alternative processes and finishes to create more professional and well executed work. Test more with stock and format before deciding on a final solution, this will also contribute to a more refined design and unique product.




5= excellent
4=very good
3=good
2=average
1=poor

Attendance:    5
Punctuality:    5
Motivation:      5
Commitment:   5
Quantity of work produced:    4
Quality of work produced:     3
Contribution to the group:     4

No comments:

Post a Comment