Thursday 18 April 2013

OUGD 503 End of Module Evaluation

1.  What skills have you developed through this module and how effectively do you think you have applied them?

This module has brought with it a lot of new opportunity to try new things and work in different ways, it has fully introduced me to the world of design competitions and improved my collaborative skills. I think that is is my collaborative skills that I have applied and improved the most, dividing work, offering and taking feedback and reviewing and organising  the project together helped me and Sam to produce a cohesive and effective body of work.
Another skill that has been invaluable throughout this module has been physical testing of products which allowed me to develop them until they were as good as possible before settling on a final design.


2. What approaches to/methods of design production have you developed and how have they informed your design development process?

Throughout this module I have focussed on producing a wider range for briefs and experimenting with what products would be relevant to various projects rather than just designing for the standard products. Mind mapping and deciding what will add to a project has affected the path that project will take and how the final outcome will look.

3. What strengths can you identify in your work and how have/will you capitalise on these?

My design boards and layout skills have improved a lot throughout this project, I will continue to develop these skills to create professional and polished boards for future projects. I enjoyed creating unique deliverables for the Forestry Commission brief such as bacon packaging, car air fresheners and coasters, this is something that I will strive to develop upon in further projects to create unique and memorable work that stands out from the standard deliverables such as posters/ leaflets etc.



4. What weaknesses can you identify in your work and how will you address these in the future?

As I have said in previous evaluations I still think that the photography and presentation of final products could be improved, although I have gone to more effort this time photographing products in a relevant way and taking time to sort out lighting I think that I could push this further in the future to create photographs that really sell the work.



5. Identify five things that you will do differently next time and what do you expect to gain from doing these?

I will put more time and art direction into the context, theme and staging of final product photography which will give me much more professional, engaging and effective photographs that showcase my work in a positive light.
I will put more time into researching the audience that I am designing for as this will inform my design decisions and will also strengthen the rationale of all choices that I make.
Something that I haven't fully explored yet is testing different stock for final products, I would like to get hold of a selection of various stocks that I would be able to use for printing and other processes, this will give me much higher quality and considered work rather than just making do with the first stock I can get/ what is cheapest.
I want to spend longer at the start of projects really developing the concept that will run throughout the project, honing it down to a concise sentence will allow me to keep focus through the project and refer back to it to make sure that what I am designing is relevant to the initial statement.
Finally, I want to focus on briefs (when possible) that suit my strengths, light hearted and interactive briefs that have room for a personal tone of voice and humour are what I think I am best at and this is something that I would like to develop and get better at. This will allow me to have a broader body of work of which I can show to illustrate how I differ from other designers.





6.How would you grade yourself on the following areas:
(please indicate using an ‘x’) 

5= excellent, 4 = very good, 3 = good, 2 = average, 1 = poor

1
2
3
4
5
Attendance




x
Punctuality




x
Motivation




x
Commitment




x
Quantity of work produced



x

Quality of work produced



x

Contribution to the group



x

The evaluation of your work is an important part of the assessment criteria and represents a percentage of the overall grade. It is essential that you give yourself enough time to complete your written evaluation fully and with appropriate depth and level of self-reflection. If you have any questions relating to the self evaluation process speak to a member of staff as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment